Saturday, November 8, 2008

Home sweet home

I predicted today and today was the day. We got home at 2 and it's all good.

This morning we got a call from some old friends who just found out about Riley's surgery via Facebook. Nuria contacted us and offered to watch Haley for a few hours today. Coincidentally, Haley had just been begging me this morning to have a playdate with someone; she was getting bored with spending so much time at the hospital. So, after some finagling, Ted, Judy and I got Haley over to the Coes' house and we dropped her off.

As I arrived at the hospital, I saw Marci's friend Felicia getting on the elevator. As I got around the corner and saw the elevator, I saw Marci's friend KC, her daughter Katri (Haley's friend), Felicia's daughter Sophie (Haley's friend), and another girl, Erin (Haley's friend).

I felt a little bad about this. Here Haley was saying how she wanted to see her friends and three of her classmates were at the hospital to see us. Luckily, she didn't know and, as it turned out, she had a fabulous time at the Coes. It was probably good she wasn't there anyway, we barely all fit into Riley's room as it was.

Today was a beautiful day. Sunny and warm, for the most part. We were able to take Riley outside to play for the first time in a week. Not only that, he was wire and cable free! It was so cool to see him out and about in the sun and playing with all of Haley's friends.

As an aside, Rye has it made. In about 10 years or so, when Haley's over with her friends, he'll be like a kid in a candy store.

Anyway, we finally got our discharge papers, and it was time to go. Riley was in a great mood. He ate fries and chicken strips for lunch and was just a kick in the pants. We piled into Ted's car and he watched me play DS all the way home.

At home, he was a little tired. Pretty soon, the Coes came over with Haley. Knight, Shannon and Mom came over as well (Mom seems to be fine now!). Uncle Bob and Yumei also made it over and we all just hung out for a bit. A short time later, Rye and Marci went to catch a nap so everyone headed home.

So, that's pretty much what happened today. Haley and I made a nice little banner welcoming Marci and Riley home. We were provided dinner by Nuria (yummy!). Riley practically overdosed on DS. Haley cried herself to sleep (so tired!). And I'm about to have a bowl of cereal.

In other words, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

I want to thank Children's Hospital for their, well, hospitality; Dr. E for his expertise and patience; all the nurses for their care and understanding; Dr. Spanier at Pediatric Associates for not accepting, "He'll grow out of it" as an answer; Rich and Felicia for being there with Marci and Rye almost as much as I was; Ted and Judy for driving 900+ miles to help us keep an eye on Haley; Debbie, Andrew and Helen for creating beautiful decorations to hang in Riley's room; Knight and Shannon for their support and, of course, the DS; anyone who has offered us support in person, online, on Facebook, in prayer, on this blog, at my thread at Gaming Trend, or anywhere else.

And, I want to thank most of all, Marci. She has been tireless through this entire ordeal. Not only that, but while she's been campaigning for Riley, she's also been taking care of our household. She is the glue that holds this family together. As a family we are a team, but without our heart, we are nothing. I am so lucky have Marci as the heart of our family. Her perseverance has given Riley a chance to lead a normal life. Her pursuit of this outcome has been incredible and all the credit goes to her.

Baby, I love you. Thank you for what you've done. XOXO.


Gwon said...

Awh........thanks hon. That was a sweet post. Brought tears to my eyes. We certainly couldn't be as strong as we are or do it without you.
Love you!

Gwon said...

Hey that comment was Marci - not Gwon.

Gwon said...

I need to stop commenting on my own posts.