Saturday, November 15, 2008

Back to normal?

Well, today Ted and Judy left. It's just the 4 of us at home now. Having the company was great; not only were they helpful around the house, they were also another way to keep the kids busy. The trouble was, their health isn't what it used to be and just getting around the house, moving from floor to floor, would get the best of them.

Considering the events of the past few months, health is pretty important to us these days. The fact that both Ted and Judy are having major issues with their health is pretty unsettling. I don't think anyone's necessarily in dire straights, but things are definitely not like they used to be.

For now, we're just going to continue on. We're giving Riley his "nose drinks" every couple hours (water into his NG tube). Sometime this week he realized he could multitask while he was being pumped with water. He showed me that he could drink from his cup while I was giving him water. I told him to stand on one leg and rub his tummy, so he did. He was quite proud of this accomplishment.

He's been getting a ton of presents. I feel kind of guilty about it. People come by, they bring gifts. I guess if I was on the outside looking in, hearing that a friend's kid had brain surgery, I'd think, "well, they're probably cooped up, the kid is laying in bed with not a lot to do. Let's give him some gifts!"

It's a grand gesture, but to me (and maybe it's because I'm living it with him), Riley seems pretty darn normal. Now, we absolutely have to be aware of his incision and keep him fairly mellow, but by and large, we've been business as usual at home. He's goofing around, we're playing, he just has a little reverse-mohawk on the back of his head.

He gets to go back to school next week, so that should be good for him. Though since he's been with Marci pretty much 24/7 for the past two weeks, we'll see how that goes.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I'm so glad to read that Riley is doing so much better! It's amazing how quickly these little ones can bounce back!!