Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Getting older and moving on

Riley will be attending school in a month or so. It's in town, but will require a bus ride. For the past 2 years, the preschools Rye has attended have also featured Marci. She worked at the Y and Rye was there, so he always had that in his back pocket.

For those that don't know, Riley is a bit of a momma's boy. Marci gives him comfort and security that others can't.

When he starts school, the first big change is that Rye will have to get on a bus. By himself. Just the thought of that makes me feel weird. I don't know if sad is the word, or what, but envisioning my little Rye on the bus with none of his friends or family is a little unsettling. Add in the fact that everyone will be new to him and probably won't understand him and it makes me more anxious.

Just imagine how Marci will feel!

I know it's all part of him growing up, I suppose, but now that I think about it, cutting the umbilical cord will be hard for me too!

This school will be good for Riley. It's not your regular pre-school. They will work with him on his speech and fine motor, as well as other things. Even though he won't know any of the students or staff (which he would if he went to the Y), the one-on-one time will be very beneficial to him.

Our hope is to have him start school, have the decompression surgery, then return to school to learn what he needs to learn. After next summer, he could be ready for kindergarten if we decide to have him start! Wow!

No comments: